Georgian, George II, Set of Four Silver Meat or Game Dishes. Of shaped oval form with raised borders and engraved, but faded, armorials. The borders with reeded and foliate detail.
The faded armorial is for Simon Harcourt, the 1st Earl Harcourt (1714 - 1777). He was also the 2nd Viscount & 2nd Baron Harcourt, titles inherited from his grandfather. Simon Harcourt was a diplomat and general. During the Jacobite Rebellion in 1745 he raised a regiment, the 76th Regiment of Foot (Lord Harcourts Regiment). This action advanced his peerage and he became the 1st Earl Harcourt of Stanton Harcourt, Oxfordshire. In 1751 he was appointed governor to the Prince of Wales, later King George III. He later served as British Ambassador to Paris and Lord Lieutenant of Ireland. Nuneham House was built for him in 1756 and he retired here in 1777, tragically drowning while rescuing his dog. A detailed heraldry report accompanies these dishes.
Each dish is hallmarked for London 1753 by John Edwards II. A scratch weight and set number is also engraved to the underside of each dish.
In very good condition with moderate surface wear and light scratches commensurate with age and use as tableware.
Approximate total weight of all four dishes is 2.825 kilos or 90.8 troy ounces.
Approximate dimensions of one dish are 32.5 cm length, 22.5 cm width and 1.8 cm height.