Late Georgian Old Sheffield Plate Armorial Meat Dome. Arms of Wheeler & Ray. This is a small meat dome of lobed oval form with a removable handle of naturalistic form.
The armorial is the marital arms of Henry James Wheeler and Emma Sarah Ray, who married in 1839. Henry Wheeler was a proctor and notary of the Doctors Commons at 6 Godliman Street, London, otherwise known as St Pauls Bakehouse. Doctors Commons was a name given to the College of Advocates and Doctors of Law which was founded in 1511. It was a requirement for admission as a fellow to have attained the degree of Doctor of Civil Law from either Oxford or Cambridge University. They had shared facilities, such as a common dining/meeting hall, a group of clerks and scribes.
A heraldry report accompanies this item.
Marked to the interior with the bell mark of Roberts, Smith & Co. of Sheffield, circa 1830.
The condition is excellent with moderate surace wear commensurate with age and some minor pitting.
Approximate weight is 1.3 kilos.
Approximate dimensions are 29 cm length, 22.7 cm width and 15.5 cm height.