George III Six Silver Tablespoons for The Judges House York.
The reverse of each spoon is inscribed "Commrs Judges House York". Commrs is an abbreviation of Commissioners.
The Judges House is a townhouse at 9 Lendal in central York. The building was erected around 1725 and in 1806 was used as the Judges' residence, when they attended the quarterly sessions at the Assize Courts at York Castle. These were criminal courts held for the most serious crimes in the country. The judges were of the Kings Bench Division of the High Court of Justice and it was given five commissioners.
Each spoon is hallmarked for London 1806 by William Eley & William Fearn.
In excellent condition with moderate surface wear commensurate with age.
Approximate weight of all six spoons is 463 grams or 14.8 troy ounces.
Approximate dimensions of one spoon are 22 cm length and 4.7 cm bowl width.