George V Silver Presentation Salver, 4th Queen's Own Hussars. The salver was presented to (Colonel) Jocelyn Elliott Armstrong (1903 - 2001) on the occasion of his marriage in 1933. The salver has a gadrooned border and is raised on three hoof feet. The central inscription features the badge of the regiment.
The 4th Queen's Own Hussars were a cavalry regiment, first raised in 1685. In the 1690's it fought against the Jacobites in Scotland & Ireland. It also took part in the Spanish War of Succession (1701 - 1714). From 1809 until 1814 it was involved in the Peninsular War with the Duke of Wellington.
In 1854 Brevet-Colonel Lord George Paget led it into the Charge of the Light Brigade at Balaklava. During the late 19th century Winston Churchill became an officer in the regiment. The regiment spent the duration of the Great War on the Western Front where it was involved in the first and second battles of Ypres. In World War Two the regiment was deployed in the Middle East, Greece, Italy and North Africa where it fought at Alamein.
In 1958 it merged with the 8th Hussars to form The Queen’s Royal Irish Hussars.
Hallmarked for London 1933 by Carrington & Co. of Regent Street, London.
In excellent condition with very light surface wear commensurate with age. Any marks seen in the photographs are ceiling reflections, as the salver has a mirror finish.
Approximate weight is 1.375 kilos or 44.2 troy ounces.
Approximate dimensions are 36.5 cm diameter and 4 cm height.