Georgian, George III, Irish Silver Cup & Cover. Of pedestal form with twin loop handles and raised on a circular foot. The domed pull off cover with urnular knop. Later foliate and scroll detail of outstanding quality. The cup features two cartouches. One has the armorial for the Duke of Portland, whilst the other has an inscription dating to 1866 where the cup was awarded to the Duke of Portland for crops grown at Clipstone Park Farm (near Mansfield). The cup was presented by Proctor & Ryland of Birmingham, who made agricultural implements. In 1866 the cup was valued at 25 Guineas! The foot of the cup has an inscription stating that the cup was presented to John Woods, the farm bailiff.
The armorial is for Cavendish-Scott-Bentinck, Duke of Portland. This cup was presented to William John Cavendish-Scott-Bentinck, 5th Duke of Portland. The Duke was a recluse and did not marry. He had extensive grounds at Welbeck Abbey in Nottinghamshire. A heraldry report accompanies this item.
Hallmarked to the body and the cover for Dublin 1792 by Thomas Jones.
In excellent order with only very light surface wear.
Approximate weight is 1.367 kilos or 43.95 troy ounces.
Approximate dimensions are 36.5 cm height, 26 cm handle to handle length and 15 cm depth.