Georgian Old Sheffield Plate entree dish & cover with Arms of Sir William Douglas, Baronet of Castle Douglas, circa 1800 - 1810. Of rectangular form with gadrooned borders and a removable loop handle. The cover can convert into a further serving dish when the handle is removed. Features rolled over silver edges.
Sir William Douglas (1745 -1809) became wealthy whilst trading in America and returned to Scotland in the late 18th century, where he established a new town and cotton mills at Carlingwark. The town was named Castle Douglas in his honour. He also founded the Galloway Banking Company. He was created a Baronet in 1801and built Gelston Castle as his home. A full copy of the heraldry report will be supplied to the purchaser.
In very good order with moderate surface wear and light scratches, commensurate with age and for its use as a serving dish.
Approximate weight is 1.65 kilos.
Approximate dimensions are 29 cm length, 21 cm width and 12 cm height.