Georgian Old Sheffield Plate Meat Dome with Armorial for Lieutenant General Sir John James Hamilton who Served with the Honourable East India Company, the British Army and the Portuguese Army during the Napoleonic Wars.
The arms are those of Hamilton, Baronet of Woodbrooke. This dome was undoubtedly in the possession of Lieutenant General Sir John James Hamilton (1755 - 1835), 1st Baronet of Woodbrooke in the County of Tyrone. He saw service as a British Officer of the Honourable East India Company and the British Army. During the Napoleonic Wars he fought for the Portuguese Army in the Battle of Albeura, Second Siege of Badajoz, Defence of Alba de Tormes (as shown in the armorial) & the Battle of Nivelle. A heraldry report accompanies this item.
The dome dates to around 1820 and is of oval form with fluting to the upper half and a removable handle. The armorial is contained within a rubbed in silver square. The interior is tinned. There is a maker's mark of an open hand, which was used by a few Sheffield makers.
In excellent condition with moderate surface wear commensurate with age. Warm copper bleed to the fluted detail. Small hole in the handle, as per the last photo. This does not affect use.
Approximate weight is 2.15 kilos
Approximate dimensions are 41cm length, 29 cm width and 24 cm height.