A Large Late Georgian Old Sheffield Plate Meat Dome. The dome features a large rubbed in silver square with the regimental insignia & battle honours for 15th The King's Light Dragoons. The battle honours are for Emsdorf in 1760 and Villiers-en-Couche in 1794. The dome is of lobed form with a removable lion handle and gadrooned handle base.
The regiment was raised in 1759 and in 1760 they were the only British regiment at The Battle of Emsdorf. The 15th charged on three occasions suffering great loss of life, but capturing many French and their cannons. This wording susbsequently appeared on the peaks of their officer's caps: FIVE BATTALIONS OF FRENCH DEFEATED AND TAKEN BY THIS REGIMENT WITH THEIR COLOURS AND NINE PIECES OF CANNON, ON THE PLAINS OF EMSDORF, JULY THE SIXTEENTH 1760.
On 24th April 1794 14 British cavalry regiments, including the 15th, and an Austrian cavalry regiment charged the French. The French suffered the most casualties and the battle honour was granted in 1818. The spelling of the honour on this dome is spelt VILLIERS-EN-COUCHIE. This spelling was in use from 1830 to 1911.
This dome can be dated to around 1830 because of the spelling of Villiers-en-Couchie and in 1832 the regiment was awarded a further honour for the battle of Sahagun in 1808.
In very good condition with moderate surface wear and copper bleed commensurate with age and for its use as a regimental dining room item.
Approximate weight is 3.5 kilos.
Approximate dimensions are 52 cm length, 40 cm width and 25 cm height.