William IV large silver salver with scroll and leaf border, raised upon three ornate bracket feet. The upper surface of the salver is chased with foliate decoration.
The presentation inscription is to Hugh James Vardon, dated January 1850 and relates to The Cornhill and Lime Street Wards Charity Schools. The members of that organisation are listed on the rear of the salver and feature Charles Farebrother and Sir John Pirie, both of whom were Lord Mayors of London. Sir John Pirie was a major shipbroker, Baronet of Camberwell and a Director of the East India Company.
Hugh Vardon was born in Cornhill, London 1799 and the family home became Goldstone in Shropshire. The Vardon coat of arms are on display in Drapers Hall in London.
Condition is excellent with some scratches to the rear of the salver. There will be signs of use and light surface wear.
Hallmarked for London 1831 with the makers mark distorted.
Approximate weight is 2.039 kilos or 65.5 troy ounces.
Approximate dimensions are 44 cm diameter and 5 cm height.